There are a few people who mention different tools for Application Development in PeopleSoft. Over the past years I have tried many of the IDEs like TextPad, UltraEdit. For the past 6 months I have started extensively using Notepad++ and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately App Designer does not include a good syntax highlighting, Intellisense and other features that have been long implemented in other IDEs like Visual Studio, JBuilder, Eclipse. It seems that so far Notpad++ developers did a great job with developing enough options that the tool could be easily configured to support multiple languages, specifically SQR and PeopleCode. I have started by downloading initial syntax color scheme files from http://www.greyheller.com/ (they are always on the forefront of PeopleSoft development). Then, I have played with options a little and voila â€“ I finally have an IDE that makes it all easier â€“ syntax highlighting, IntelliSense (I wish it could access AppDesigner API too). Below I would like to provide a 5 minute guide to configuring NOTEPAD++ for use:
- Download Notepad++ from http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/
- After install go to Settings and remove all languages that you are not using:
3. Download PeopleCode and SQR syntax and Intellisense files below
a) Paste Intellisense File below
into C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins\APIs\
b) Paste PeopleCode and SQR Syntax files attached below into %appdata%\Notepad++\
c) Close and restart Notepad++
4. Configure Notpad++ to recognize sqr and peoplecode by following the instructions below:
Choose the desired language e.g. Peoplecode or SQR and change the color scheme to the way you like it. For PeopleCode I suggest specifying rem andÂ remark in the comments & Number section. For the slash comments to work properlyÂ / /Â – we need to specify them in the Operators section (screenshot), because for some reason PeopleCode has more that 2 types of comments :
/+ your comment +/
/* your comment */
rem your comment
remark your comment
In order to enable Autocompletion (IntelliSense) you need to go to Settings → Backup\Auto-Complete tab
Enable → “Enable auto-completion on each input”
Select → “Word Completion”
Enable → “Function parameters hint on input”
Please Note for Notepad 6.8+ (These intrusions were kindly contributed by Ganesh P.):
For Notepad++ 6.8.* please use the following instructions for install installing the syntax files.
1. Go to Language > User Defined Language > Click on Import Button > Import the Peoplecode and SQR downloaded files from the links given by Yury.
2. Go to Language > User Defined Language > Check if the import is successful by clicking User Language drop box. If it is successful you can see your language in the drop-down box.
3. Again go back to Language > and below you can see newly imported languages.
4. Select the language and it is done.
No need to restart the Notepad++ you can see the changes immediately
Enjoy ! In my next post I will explain how Notepad++ can be effectively used for looking at PeopleCode Trace files.